Great twist on the typical fruit scones, best eaten fresh but can be frozen for up to a month and delicious eaten with jam and cream or butter.
As with all our recipes, tweak according to personal preference e.g. if not sweet enough, add extra sugar, if too sweet, add a little less etc. Feel free to leave your own hints, tips and recommendations in the comments section.
Makes 10 scones
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes
Shallow baking tin or sheet (greased)
7cm round pastry / cookie cutter
16 oz Self-raising flour
3 oz Butter (slightly salted)
75g Robins and Sons Milk Chocolate Chips
4g Dried strawberries
Pinch of salt
Extra flour for dusting
Pre heat oven to 2200C / 425 0F / gas mark 7
1. Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, add butter and ‘rub in’ to flour with fingertips.
2. Stir in the sugar and salt.
3. Add chocolate chips and dried strawberries to the flour/butter/sugar, and mix thoroughly but gently, to avoid breaking up the strawberry pieces further (or you’ll end up with pink scones).
4. Make a ‘well’ in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the milk. Stir in gently with a knife.
5. Gather the dough together with your hands, knead gently and turn out onto a floured surface.
6. Roll out dough to a thickness of approximately 2cm. The thickness of the dough dictates the depth of the scones once cooked, so the thicker the dough, the bigger / taller the scone. Cut out scone shapes with the cutter. Adding a little extra flour to the surface of the rolled out dough helps stop the cutter from sticking to the dough and makes the dough easier to release. Do not twist the cutter when lifting it out the dough, as the scone will end up a funny shape.
Knead together any off-cuts of dough into a ball, roll out again and repeat.
7. Place the scones on a greased baking sheet, approximately 2cm apart. Brush tops of the scones with milk.
8. Bake in middle of preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until top of scone is lightly browned and base sounds slightly hollow when tapped.
Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter, or jam and cream.
Comments will be approved before showing up.